April to July at Westminster Chapel is what we call our B.L.E.S.S. term.
About a year ago we sensed God speaking to us about pastoring as farmers. Rather than trying and failing to prioritise many things all at the same time, we’ve been led to focus on one main objective per term, or season. In a not dissimilar way to how farmers sow, water, harvest and lie fallow, we’ve created belong, become, bless and rest seasons.
The main vehicle for this is what we call Life Groups, typically 8-14 people, meeting in homes, online and in-person, across London.
These start meeting again – with spring optimism and warmer weather on the way – on 3rd, 4th and 8th May, to live out B.L.E.S.S. together, following our launch evening of prayer, worship and inspiring testimonies, on 27th April.
B.L.E.S.S. is a very helpful summary of 5 everyday Jesus practices everyone can do.
- B – begin in prayer
- L – listen with care
- E – eat together
- S – serve with love
- S – share your story and the gospel
WHY are we doing this?
Because we want others to discover the joy of a relationship with God – but not in a forced or inauthentic way. Because we want a wise, not weird model of sharing the good news about Jesus. Because evangelism can be scary but doing it together as family makes it easier. Because we want to put into practice what we’ve learned, e.g. from the Missional Life Course. Because we want to obey Jesus (“Go therefore and make disciples…” Matthew 28:19a). Because we want to grow in our faith and relationship with Jesus (“And I pray that the sharing of your faith may become effective for the full knowledge of every good thing that is in us for the sake of Christ” Philemon 6).
HOW we’re doing this?
1. Not by human might or willpower but by the Spirit at work in and upon us. Throughout Lent many of us have been praying through Acts 4:23-31 – praying to be filled with the Holy Spirit so we might speak the word of God with boldness.
2. In teams. As set out here in our Life Groups in more detail.
3. With great events. 5 June Street Party. 20 July Comedy Night.
4. Through LIGHTS. A safe way to have a go at sharing your faith with support and encouragement on hand.
If you’d like some extra insight and encouragement, please dig into one or more of these excellent books.
- Loving People Toward Jesus by Dub Everitt
- B.L.E.S.S. 5 Everday Ways to Love Your Neighbour and Change the World by Dave Ferguson and Jon Ferguson
- How to Talk about Jesus (Without Being That Guy): Personal Evangelism in a Skeptical World by Sam Chan